I have been having these conversations, discussions, arguments with these young learned friends of mine on Twitter as well as some learned experts on social media whom I follow to understand or rather simplify the theory of social media.
What I see are just links of blogs, articles written by americans, british on case studies done in their countries for their consumers, speaking their One language. AND yes there are some few indians amongst these experts who also talk about such case studies only. Perhaps taking pity on me Vijay Rayapati sent me a message yesterday “Hi @anaggh, We do have many Indian brands using Social Media for engaging with consumers – U can find info at” http://bit.ly/D38WW
Full of optimism I visited his blog Social Media Marketing in India and poured over the case study list.
First, having understood and remembered the name opened Sunsilk gang of girls . Case study is brief with just some numbers etc. I could not make sense of how the numbers came about, what caused the constant stickiness, how much money was spent on offline advertising to drive people to the web etc. which is most crucial was missing.
Secondly, I visited Indian Brands & Businesses on Twitter written by Santosh Maharshi who has been clear in informing his readers “This is the list of (now 75) Indian brands and businesses on Twitter. However, the ownership of these brands is not verified. For example, satyam computers which is a news update account for the company and not by the company. Some of the media brands are actually extending their services through twitter and not necessarily communicating with their users. Some of them can also be bots. Enjoy the list and please feel to add the ones that you come across in the comments section.”
Now nowhere are these case studies as promised but I decided to make a case study of these & share my findings with you:
Nothing worth even commenting about here.
Updates 104 – What can one say?:)
Updates 1022 – Follower, Following does not make a social media
Absolutely beer related to & fro; then the winding is over
Imagine a computer company with pathetic updates, when they have so much to talk about!
This left me completely zapped! Cannot understand the logic here at all.
Much better for someone who is not completely net driven.
I expected something exciting, but looks more like an afterthought than anything else.
Chalo kuch nahi toh yeh sahi!
Guess the IPL has to be accorded for the number of followers & updates.
50 updates – follow us for amazing offers & latest updates says the bio
Yeah Sure with just 50 updates.
Just links…..which could be RSS also.
Again only links, information.
Bit of interaction visible. And it is early days yet. Sanjeev should be able to do this right.
A Net Business, what more can one say.
Nothing. Still stuck in old web!
Imagine these kind of numbers in season time. Wonder what would happen during off season or probably they are outsold everywhere.
28 updates – India’s full service interactive agency. The most shocking discovery of all, unless they have started yesterday evening.
Looks internal information only.
Again just links & information. Nary an attempt to be interactive.
iXiGO India @iXiGOIndia
Shows as suspended from my browser both IE & firefox
- None of them have any idea of Social Media
- Their expert is the new management trainee or customer service rep or a friend who has spoken about it over beer or coffee
- Their fear of domain squatting has translated into twitter squatting
- Keeping up with the Joneses and not knowing how
- Do not know the meaning of “Interactive” & “Integration” which are the key to offline & online marriage
- Content, SEO, et all are words they had heard & given it to the SM manager (trainee or enthusiast) forgetting that he/she had got their resume written by some one else & use templates for leave application.
- India is not ready for Social Media Revolution & the small number of evangelists & large numbers of experts need to work hard to bridge the gap. I had earlier written about this here but do not think that it would matter since my twitter bio does not say I am an Expert.
In the meantime, I welcome a chance to discuss specific Social Media case studies on Brands & Businesses with Experts & Non Experts.