News that has been no news caught my eye in today’s newspaper. More so because I have had occasion to use cabs and autos more frequently in the past two months.
- They are a law onto themselves.
- Most Autos/cabs have one licence and couple of drivers
- They prefer getting caught once in a while so it brings legitimacy to the illegal licence and gives them a challan which can be used in lieu of licence for a couple of weeks. There is no photo on the challan so anybody can drive.
- Some rule in the recent past about details SoS to be stuck at the back of the driver is never seen.
- The old rule of number of the auto/cab to be visible inside is rarely seen.
- The uniform with badge displayed – less said the better.
- Am sure half dozen more can be added.
And for all of this, you need to find a cop – rarely are they around, call helpline which is a pain, give details to hear ‘Aare saheb jhaau deya, mee tumhanla rickshaw deto’ And if you insist more the penalty is ₹100/- mostly.
The pre check, monitoring, audit does not exist (Cops say not enough manpower, citizens say nobody listens, auto/cab guys say ‘yeh saazish hai’)
So how exactly is this ₹1000/- going to be charged? Collected? Or is it more to do additional madavli and make money?