Handvo – Another gujarati favourite, mostly eaten as a single meal in the evenings and is sufficient enough to fill you up for dinner and is healthy too 🙂
1 cup Rice
3/4 cup Tur Dal (Arhar Dal)
1/4 cup chana dal
Soak all 3 of the above for 3-4 hours
1/4 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp red chilli powder
11/2 tbsp sugar (or can be just 1/2 spoon)
3 tbsp oil
3/4 cup sour curd/dahi
11/2 cup finely grated dudhi
A pinch of hing,
1 tbsp mustard seed, curry leaves, sesame seeds
1 tbsp soda bi carb
1) Grind coarsely the soaked rice and dal
2) Add Dahi, oil an all spices into it and whisk briskly.
3) Let it ferment by keeping it in a warm place for 3-4 hours
4) Keep checking it, once it is fermented, add the grated dudhi and mix well. Add the soda bi carb and mix again.
5) Now temper the batter with mustard and sesame seeds, curry leaves and mix again.
6) Pour the batter in a greased baking tray and bake it for 15-20 minutes at 100 degrees, till the top becomes brown and crisp
7) Switch off the oven, cut into squares and serve with chutney or mango achaar.
This recipe is used at our house and has been dictated by my mother. No debates or arguments would be entertained in terms of preparing this some other way. Please feel free to prepare the way you are comfortable