A couple of weeks ago, lying in bed at a Hospital 🙂 Read that here I was cleaning up Apps on my iPhone and MotoG, also reading about some new ‘Disrupters’ in the food space. Tweeted some thoughts about them, one being QuintoApp. A couple of tweets, messages reminded me that it was founded by Sahil who had met me and Anupam with his co founder last year to seek inputs.
We had spent a pleasant hour or so sharing different views about the app, and then I learnt that they attended TiE Bootcamp with their mentors being Anand and Kanchan and I had stopped tracking, nor did I have any information.
Down Loading the app to check, found the following:
1) Smooth, nice design, though the color sensibilities hurt me due to the dark/black background, white fonts.
2) Mumbai and the first search was for ‘Vada Pav’ and saw just one location – Ashok Vada Pav – reaction to this was, Dude, this is the first thing that is associated with Mumbai and needs to be there.
Lost interest and deleted the app.
My thoughts & questions that I had asked last year and remain the same:
1) What is your differentiator/USP? To give an example – People follow me on Zomato and Instagram for the food recommendation NOT because I talk about Texture, graininess and all BUT stand by what dish is good and why I like it.
2) Blog is different, has more written there etc.
3) Why would I want yet another app where I will go and write, tag, input, select or whatever for my favourite dish? Some youngsters, maybe yes.
4) How difficult would this be to replicate by a Zomato, Pandas, Owls with funding?
5) If there is no contextual, relevant content, how does it benefit the consumers and in turn create a community?
6) And how quickly can this be scaled up?
Is there an answer for this – probably yes. Can it work – maybe. Is it too late – possible. The answer would be in – Is this only for passion, revenue or funding 🙂